JOB DESCRIPTION: NPNA POLICY DIRECTOR
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
BASED IN: Washington, D.C.
POSTING DATE: August 19, 2020
CLOSING: Position open until filled
NATIONAL PARTNERSHIP FOR NEW AMERICANS
The National Partnership for New Americans (NPNA) is a national multiethnic, multiracial partnership network of 41 immigrant and refugee rights organizations who together advocate for policies and programs to successfully integrate New Americans. NPNA exists to 1) strengthen immigrant and refugee voices in our nation by building the policy and program capacities of our member organizations, and 2) pursue policy campaigns with our members at the local, state, and federal level.
NPNA seeks an experienced dynamic and driven immigration policy expert to advance our legislative priorities. The Policy Director will engage members, affiliates, and stakeholders in advocacy campaigns to win immigrant integration policies that promote inclusion, equity, and justice for New Americans. The Policy Director will lead the research and development of policy proposals on immigrant integration and work with NPNA members to deepen our policy platform and legislative strategy.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this role will supervise the Policy and Campaigns Manager who will work as a team to implement our legislative agenda and advocate on a range of administrative policies for federal agencies. This role will work with members of Congress, legislative staff, and NPNA members on the development, introduction, and movement of priority legislation.
- Collaborate with NPNA members to shape and lead legislative strategy. Serve as one of the key contacts at NPNA with influential policy makers on key advocacy campaigns
- Participate in coalition building strategies at the national level, and maintain key relationships with partner organizations; represent NPNA in meetings of ad hoc legislative coalitions and key partner organizations
- Participate in strategic dialogue with national organizations, policy makers and their staff, and others to provide reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance on NPNA legislative and policy activities
- Involve and elevate grassroots leaders and partner organizations in promoting a legislative platform that advances the interest of immigrant and refugee families, including organizing opportunities to bring grassroots partners in contact with their member of Congress, providing legislative updates, and promoting coalition building with our partners
- Lead policy and legislative research, policy briefings, work with NPNA members to formulate campaign strategy
- Play a key role in providing research and strategic advice around the development of NPNA national policy priorities
- Regularly update and engage NPNA members on relevant policy/legislative developments
- Play a key role in translating national campaign efforts to state and local partners
- Represent NPNA positions to partner organizations, key policy makers and their staff, among others as necessary. Develop and disseminate relevant information to national and local partners, policy makers, and target audiences
- 5 years or more of professional experience in a leadership role in representing an organization on public policy issues, especially those of importance to immigrant and refugee communities
- Ability to build relationships with relevant policy partners (government, policy shops, academic institutions, etc.)
- Experience analyzing and interpreting legislative and regulatory language
- Knowledge of legislative and administrative processes
- A broad understanding of federal policies that pertain immigration and refugees
- Excellent advocacy, consensus-building, coalition-building, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with other staff and other organizations; demonstrated ability to work with groups and individuals across the political spectrum
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral; experience as a public spokesperson and advocate; ability to analyze and articulate legal concepts and other complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences
- Intersectional analysis of immigration integration issues
- Applicants who are directly impacted by the issues and with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
- Multicultural competence and comfort with the ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds and to work across differences at all levels
- Language proficiency beyond English is a plus
NPNA is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and your answers to the below questions to firstname.lastname@example.org The two questions are:
- From your perspective, what are the necessary elements to drive effective policy efforts and move stakeholders to support immigrant and refugee integration policy?
- From your perspective, which immigrant and refugee integration policies are imperative to advance a healthy and vibrant democracy?
The salary range is $95,000-$102,000 commensurate with experience. NPNA offers a generous benefit package that includes health, dental, and IRA savings plans. Employees receive 14 paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation days and an additional week of paid time off December 25-January 1st.