Skip to content

Citizenship Eligibility & Documents

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading text=”Are You Eligible for Citizenship?” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left” use_theme_fonts=”yes”][vc_column_text]To become a U.S. citizen you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You must have authorization to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis (informally known as a green card) for at least five years (or three years, if married to a United States citizen).
  • You must have continuous residence in the U.S. for at least five years (or three years, if married to a United States citizen) and be physically present in the U.S. for at least half that time.
  • Must be able to read, write and speak basic English.
  • Some people do not have to speak English at all or answer any questions about United States history and civics, depending on many factors such as their age, time in the U.S. as green card holders, and if they have a disability.
  • For more information about language exceptions, disability exceptions, and accommodations, click here.
  • Must have a knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. history and government.
  • You must be a person of “good moral character.”
  • You must take a loyalty oath to the United States and support the Constitution and form of government of the United States.

[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”Documents and Information to Bring with You to the Local Citizenship Clinic:” font_container=”tag:h3|text_align:left” use_theme_fonts=”yes”][vc_column_text]

  • $725 check or money order payable to: DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY or file a fee waiver application. ($725
    includes the $640 N-400 application fee and the $85 biometrics fee.)
  • Applicants may participate in the workshop and delay actual payment of application fees.
  • Driver’s license or state-issued I.D.
  • Passport from home country if available.
  • Legal permanent residency card— “Green Card.”
TRIPS OUTSIDE THE United States (month/day/year)
  • Dates of all trips, over 24 hours, outside of the United States in the last five years.
  • Reason for trip and destination.
RESIDENCE (last five years) month and year
  • Complete addresses for the past five years.
  • Dates moved in and moved out of the residence.
EMPLOYMENT (last five years) month and year
  • Names, dates and addresses of all employers for the past five years.
  • Title of position held.
Present Spouse:
  • Name
  • Country of birth
  • Date of birth
  • Date of marriage by law
  • Social Security number
  • If spouse is a legal permanent resident, spouse’s green card number
  • Date and place of naturalization
Former Spouse (if applicable):
  • Name
  • Date of marriage
  • Date marriage ended
  • Divorce/Death Certificate
  • Immigration status


If your spouse was previously married, the same information is required about your spouse’s ex- husband/ex-wife

  • Names of all children
  • Date of birth
  • Country of birth
  • If child is a legal permanent resident, child’s green card number
  • City and state of where they live
  • Date and location of any arrest
  • Nature of the offense
  • Outcome of the case
  • Police report and court disposition
  • Selective Service number and date registered
    1. If you registered and do not have this information, call (847) 688-6888 or visit
    2. If you have not registered and are between the ages of 18 and 26, register by calling (847) 688-6888.